Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Belated Posting and a Challenge

It's been several months since I've done a book review. I have been reading but the desire to write has been missing.

If you know me personally, you are probably aware that I have a lousy memory.  It's partially responsible for my blogging as a way to recall what I've read and what it was about.  With that in mind, I am going to do a few short blogs to catch up with the books I've read recently, but the reviews may be non-existent, as long as I can add the cover blurbs.  I apologize in advance. 

As to the my challenge.  This is a challenge to myself to catch up on my wish list of reading. That list grows longer almost daily with more books being added and few being read and removed.  I have a Goodreads.com account where I keep my complete list of books I've read and want to read.  Recently I discovered that Goodreads.com offers book giveaways and as I've entered to "win" books they have been added to my "want-to-read" list causing it to grow even more quickly.

Ack!!!

My new challenge to myself is to start at the oldest end of my list and read 20 books from it before allowing myself to read any other books already on the list or not.  I'm not going to require that I read them in any particular order, other than the first oldest 20.  So for the next period of time, the following list,in no particular order, is my-read-it-or-delete-it reading profile.

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld
Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gregg Gilmore
As Always, Jack by Emma Sweeney
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise by Julia Stuart
Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer
The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
Civil War Wives by Carol Berkin
The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin
Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy
A little update:  I've moved the books I've read (in the order I read them) to the bottom of my list.  It's an easy way for me to see that I am making progress.  In regard to that - I'm really enjoying this self made challenge and also enjoying the books that I've put off reading for so long! 

If you've stumbled upon this particular post and would like to read any of my reviews of the books I've completed and listed here, just click the photo. 
First book completed of 20 book challenge

Book 2 of 20
Book 3 of 20

Book 4 of 20


1 comment:

  1. Yep, yep, and yep. Book Thief: Incredibly well written from Death's point of view and added to the luxury of a fast, fairly easy read. I'm reading and very much enjoying Devil in the White City now! Read up, Gurl!!!

    ReplyDelete