Friday, March 16, 2007

Are You Afraid of the Dark

Are You Afraid of the Dark 
by Sidney Sheldon
 
Abridged on CD, read by Marsha Mason
 
Many many years ago Sidney Sheldon's novel, "The Other Side of Midnight" was very popular and made the rounds of my group of friends and touted as a great story. Based on this recollection I picked up this audio book expecting to be happily entertained.
 
I was disappointed. It was not to be.
 
I don't know if it was the fact that the story was abridged, and possibly lost some of it's appeal through deletions or omissions, or
 
Perhaps it was Marcia Mason's reading of the story, making the female characters always speak in breathy, too urgent voices, or
 
Just maybe it's the fact that Batman (or was it Jame Bond?) already took care of the mad scientist trying to control the world by controling the weather.
 
Whatever it is, I recommend you not waste your time on this one.  At least not the audio version.  Sorry Sidney, it's a bust...
 
(from my former MySpace blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment